Insect Allergy

Insect Allergy Specialist
Suffering from an insect allergy can be painful and life-threatening but is "curable" (over 90 percent control with treatment). Joann Blessing-Moore, MD and Rani Maskatia, MD have experience and expertise in helping people deal with many different insect allergies across the San Mateo and Palo Alto, California region.

Insect Allergy Q & A

Why Are Insect Allergies Dangerous?

Any allergy has the potential to be serious, but insect allergies can be some of the most dangerous of all. In addition to the normal concerns for allergies, people who are allergic to insects need to receive immediate medical attention if they suffer from a sting or bite as these allergies have the potential to be deadly.

What Kinds of Insects Cause Allergies?

Many different kinds of insects can cause allergic reactions. Listed below are five species of insect whose stings or bites are the most common causes of deadly allergic reactions:

  • Yellow jackets
  • Honeybees
  • Paper wasps
  • Hornets
  • Fire ants

What Is Anaphylaxis?

Anaphylaxis is a severe and potentially deadly allergic reaction and can be experienced by people who are allergic to certain insects. People who suffer from anaphylaxis need to receive medical attention immediately after being exposed to the allergen.

What Are the Symptoms of Anaphylaxis?

The symptoms of anaphylaxis include normal allergy symptoms such as itching, redness and swelling, hives, rashes and flushing. More serious reactions include a feeling of the throat closing up, hoarse voice, severe swelling of the tongue and face, inability to breathe, cramping, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and unconsciousness as well as the potential for lethal shock and heart attack.

These symptoms can occur within minutes of a sting and need immediate treatment and medical attention.

How Are Insect Stings Treated?

People who are sensitive to insect stings should be tested and treated with allergy shots as there can be over 90 percent control. Patients are still encouraged to carry an epinephrine autoinjector with a predetermined dose of the life-saving medication and should inject themselves or have another inject them immediately after being stung. They should then seek medical attention right away. Again, this is an allergy that can be controlled.

Dr. Blessing-Moore and Dr. Maskatia have experience effectively treating insect allergies across the Palo Alto and San Mateo regions.

   

Choose your preferred location